Split is a beautiful Croatian city full of sights and attractions to explore. From its picturesque harbor to the UNESCO World Heritage Diocletian’s Palace, there’s no shortage of things to do in Split. Here are some ideas for making the most out of your visit:
1. Visit Diocletian’s Palace – One of Split’s main draws is its magnificent palace – constructed between 295-305 AD by the Roman emperor Diocletian. It contains a plethora of historic sites including Peristyle Square, Jupiter’s Temple, the Cathedral and much more.
2. Take a stroll along Riva – Split’s waterfront promenade offers plenty of opportunity for sightseeing and people watching. It’s lined with restaurants and cafés, making it the perfect place to stop for a bite or enjoy an ice cream in the sun.
3. Explore Marjan Hill – This large wooded park is popular among locals and visitors alike, offering excellent views of the city and sea beyond from its peak. Marjan is also home to several cultural institutions such as the Split City Museum and Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries, providing a unique insight into Split’s history.
4. Soak up some sun on Bacvice Beach – Located just south of Riva, this beach has long been a favorite spot for swimming, sunbathing and playing sports like picigin (a traditional local game). There are plenty of beach bars nearby, making it a great spot to relax with a drink.
5. Shop in the Old Town – The narrow streets of Split’s historic old town are littered with souvenir shops, art galleries and local boutiques. It’s the perfect place to pick up some unique gifts or simply explore the city’s vibrant culture.
No matter what you decide to do in Split, there’s plenty to keep you entertained. From exploring its ancient sites to lounging on its picturesque beaches, this charming Croatian city has something for everyone!